Sunday 16 September 2012

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater

BookShiver (The Wolves of Mercy Falls #1) by Maggie Stiefvater, 2009 by Scholastic Press, 392 pages.

Synopsis from Goodreads:
Grace and Sam share a kinship so close they could be lovers or siblings. But they also share a problem. When the temperature slips towards freezing, Sam reverts to his wolf identity and must retreat into the woods to protect his pack. He worries that eventually his human side will fade away and he will be left howling alone at the lonely moon. A stirring supernatural teen romance.

My Thoughts:
 The writing in Shiver is just beautiful.  I love how Stiefvater uses words and conjures up images.  There is a richness to her writing which is certainly worth reading.

And then there is the story.  To tell you the truth, this one was a little too much romance for me, but then, I'm not a huge romance fan.  The story did take me in and kept me reading, though I was happy when the pace picked up at the end.  I think I found it hard to buy the instant romance at the beginning.

This is the story of Grace and Sam, with chapters told by each of them from a first point of view. Luckily each character has such a unique voice that this didn't become confusing.  They have a doomed to fail romance, though neither is willing to give up on it - it is almost a star crossed lovers scenario.  Grace is very independent and capable while Sam is good looking, reads poetry and plays guitar.

I liked Stiefvater's explanation for werewolves and their history.  This was original and seamless, and tied together well with the temperature changes in the book.

I would recommend this book to young adult romance fans, especially those who like a paranormal twist.
Buy This Book from Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really appreciate your comments.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.