Thursday 24 November 2011

Book Review: Farsighted by Emlyn Chand

Book:  Farsighted (Farsighted Series) by Emlyn Chand, Blue Crown Press, Nov. 24, 2011, 218 pages.  Young Adult paranormal.

Source:  from the author via Bewitching Book Tours.

Synopsis from Goodreads:
Alex Kosmitoras’s life has never been easy. The only other student who will talk to him is the school bully, his parents are dead-broke and insanely overprotective, and to complicate matters even more, he's blind. Just when he thinks he'll never have a shot at a normal life, a new girl from India moves into town. Simmi is smart, nice, and actually wants to be friends with Alex. Plus she smells like an Almond Joy bar. Yes, sophomore year might not be so bad after all.


Unfortunately, Alex is in store for another new arrival—an unexpected and often embarrassing ability to “see” the future. Try as he may, Alex is unable to ignore his visions, especially when they begin to suggest that Simmi is in danger. With the help of the mysterious psychic next door and new friends who come bearing gifts of their own, Alex must embark on a journey to change his future.

My Thoughts:
There was something about Farsighted that intrigued me from the beginning.  Maybe it was the cover, the fact that it was from a boy's point of view or the paranormal aspect.  I think, ultimately, it was the blind boy who had psychic visions that did it.  I love classical myths and this spoke to me, the way the blind seer does in many ancient tales.

Farsighted is told in the first person - Alex is a teenaged boy, born blind with an overprotective mother, an aloof father and not many friends.  There are two new girls at his school, Simmi, who has just moved from India and who he has a crush on, and Sharpi from New Orleans whose mother has just opened a psychic shop next to his mom's floral store.  Alex starts having visions, some of them terrifying and showing that Simmi could be in danger.

I found this book grabbed me right from the beginning with its interesting story and vivid writing.  Chand describes everything so well, especially sounds and smells.  It must have been an interesting challenge to write from a blind boy's point of view, one which she handled really well. 

The characters were well developed and showed growth, including some of the adults.  I found Alex to be believable, especially in his being a misfit and being so shy, but also desperately wanting to fit in.  The multicultural aspect to the book also added richness and another layer to the book.  Then there is the awkward romance, which was sweet and added a nice dimension.

The paranormal element of the book was fun with Alex acting as I imagine many teenagers would - he tries to keep things to himself, especially from his parents, he gets moody and withdrawn.  There were times I found myself getting frustrated because I wanted to know what it all meant, but I imagine my frustration echoed Alex's.  There is an interesting artistry to the writing, however - conflicts are set out, clues are layed, anticipation is built up and twists bend the plot.  I love the paranormal parts of how things are not always as they seem and how this idea seems to play throughout the book. 

Farsighted is the first in a series and I am anxious to see where things go next.  I would highly recommend this book to boys and girls who like a bit of paranormal in their books.


Where to find Emlyn Chand:
website
twitter
facebook

3 comments:

  1. Coreena, you are a super star! Thank you so much for this thoughtful review. I'm so glad Farsighted grabbed you and that you cared about the characters. Your words are music to this new writer's eyes :-D I'm working on book #2 in the series right now and am super eager to get it out there. It will have much more of the whole awkward teen romance thing. Those parts are the most fun to write ;-)

    One more favor to ask of you: Would you mind cross-posting this review to Amazon and GoodReads? It really helps new authors like me to gain more exposure and readers. Thank you for everything you've done!

    Emlyn :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emlyn, I will happily cross post the review. I normally do, but got sidetracked by a sick child today.

    Good luck with your book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Coreena. I hope the little one is feeling better :-D

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.